Friday, January 6, 2012

Resolutions For The New Year

image from the web

Happy 2012 everyone! I hope that the new year is treating you right. My year started with hectic days at work, and it seems like its going to be that way for the rest of the month. On top of that, I have a nagging sore throat and generally feel crappy. Not the best way to start the year, I hope that things will be better next month.

The blogosphere  is teeming with blogs on resolutions. There is something about the new year that makes us want to have a fresh start or make changes in our lives. Like most people, I make my resolutions every January and by the second week, I'm on my way to failure. I usually have so many resolutions that it is hard to keep up. Last year, I decided to have just one specific and realistic resolution. It made all the difference, because for the first time, I was able to achieve my goal.

I don't have one 'big' resolution this year. Instead, I have 'mini-goals' that I plan to stick with for 2-3 months. I feel that this time frame should give me enough time to achieve my goals, but not so long that I end up getting bored.  I will work towards one goal at a time. I'm starting the year by learning a new behavior - the goal is to become a wiser spender. 

I'm not out of control or anywhere near that. I don't have debts and I don't borrow money just so I can shop, but I still feel that my spending habits needs some work. I'm going straight to the root of the problem and putting myself on a makeup budget. For a makeup junkie and for someone who blogs about makeup, it's not going to be easy. Starting this month until the end of March, I will only spend within the budget. The budget covers what I need and my wants. If for some reason I did not use the money, then it goes to savings, it will not be added to next month's budget. At the end of March, I will decide if I will stick with the budget or if I need to modify it. The idea is to continue having a budget, but at the same time, not deprive myself by being flexible. Note that I will only modify my budget after sticking with it for 3 months, this will prevent me from being 'flexible' whenever I feel like it. I will then stick with the new budget for the next 2-3 months and then review. 

In a way, I started on my resolution last November. I banned myself from buying any makeup product starting the first of November until the end of December. I'm proud to report that despite the temptations of the holiday collections, I was able to hold out. In the past, my short lived 'no buys' always ended with binge shopping. I can't do that now, because I'm on a budget, and strangely enough, I'm not in a hurry to break my 'no buy'. 

For some reason I feel optimistic towards meeting my goals this year. I think this is partly due to my 'no buy' success. I know it will not be easy, but I'm willing to work and I'm ready. What about you guys? Do you have any resolutions (makeup related or not) this year? Do share on the comments below.

2 comments:

  1. wow you didnt buy makeup for that long!? through the holidays even? that's such an achievement! Congratulations and happy new yr :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. @kumiko mae, thanks! It does feel good to have a little bit of self control :-). Happy new year!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...