Tuesday, January 10, 2012

MAC Studio Fix Fluid SPF 15 Foundation

maccosmetics.com

Studio Fix Fluid is an oil free medium to full coverage foundation with SPF. It is promoted as a matte foundation, but I find the finish to be between matte and satin. When used properly, the effect is a beautiful soft look.

It took me a long time to appreciate this foundation mainly because I was matched with the wrong shade. I have this in NC 40 which is too dark and too yellow for me. I got this at a MAC store and was matched by the resident makeup artist. She applied it on me and it looked fine under the store's bright lights, but when I checked my face a few hours later on natural light, I saw the 'real' result of her quick work. The foundation was cakey, there were streaks from the brush and my face had a yellow tinge. I was disappointed (and embarrassed), but I decided to keep the product hoping that I would have a better result if I do my makeup myself.




My optimism disappeared after the first use. I could overlook the shade being a lit bit dark, but the strong yellow tone made it difficult for me to work with this foundation. The only way I could use Studio Fix Fluid was to dilute it by mixing with Make Up Forever HD foundation (a tad too light for me). Mixing foundations is a good way to get a perfect color match, but I don't always have the time to do this, and I still prefer to use just one foundation. When it comes to coverage, it does an excellent job of covering blemishes and other imperfections. Most people appreciate a full coverage foundation, but it is not the first priority for me. I use foundation mainly to even out my skin tone, not to cover or conceal. The foundation also has a tendency to be cakey and look heavy when not blended well.




I was about to ditch this when I found the talented Lisa Eldridge on YouTube. On her videos, she would use the least amount of foundation, and only on places where she needed them. I followed her technique with Studio Fix Fluid and it worked. It turns out, I was using too much. A very thin coat of this foundation is more than enough. When blended in the skin, it gives a nice soft finish, not too flat or glowy. The shade is still a little bit dark, but I can get away with it and the strong yellow tone is controlled.

I read about Studio Fix Fluid oxidizing and even causing breakout on some people, I have not personally experienced this. It lasts the whole day and as long I don't use too much, there is no caking. The foundation comes in a glass bottle without a pump. After shaking the bottle, you pour the product out, this can be messy and a lot of the product will inevitably go to waste. You can buy a foundation pump from MAC if you prefer using one. It has a sort of 'industrial' (I really don't know how to describe it) scent which might not be appreciated by some people.

I get the most compliments when I'm wearing this foundation, and despite having spf, I never had problems being photographed wearing this. I have come to like and appreciate this foundation, but I'm not sure if I want to go ahead and get one in a lighter shade. The strong yellow tone of the foundation is discouraging me. If you are looking for a foundation with medium to full coverage, this is a good one. I suggest getting a sample first to try out for at least a day. You'll want to make sure that you don't end up with a yellow or orange face :).

Unfortunately, my search for the 'holy grail' foundation does not end here. If you found your 'holy grail' foundation, please share on the comments below.

1 comment:

  1. great review! :)

    would you like to follow each other? come visit my blog and I'll definitely follow back! :)

    Chamee
    http://misslitratista.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...