Sunday, December 4, 2011

MAC Prep+Prime Skin Brightening Serum



On the last week of October, after I recovered from my bout of skin allergies and irritation, I was left with dry and dull looking skin. The products I was using that time were no longer working for me. No amount of moisturizing helped, my skin was no longer flaking, but it remained dry and dull. This made me decide to revamp my skincare regimen. I was aware that using new products all at the same time was not advisable, afterall, I just recovered from allergies. But, after having lousy skin for almost two months, I was a little desperate.

The one thing I wanted to add on my regimen was a serum. I wanted something that was hydrating, brightening, contained antioxidants and can be used during the day or night. My online research brought out so many products, I narrowed down my choice between MAC and Kiehl's. I decided to go with MAC because I had good experience with their skincare line so far and  have easier access to their stores.

The Prep+Prime Brightening Serum promises brighter and smoother complexion while keeping the skin hydrated. It comes in a black plastic bottle with a pump. The pump is very effective in that it delivers just the right amount and the cap can be twisted to lock the pump in place (very helpful when travelling). The opaque bottle and pump dispenser ensures that the product inside is protected as exposure to light and air will oxidize vitamin C, one of the more potent antioxidant in the product, making it useless. The serum has a thin, light texture and is absorbed in the skin right away. I can use a moisturizer or a primer on top of it and don't feel like I piled on products on my face.




The brightening effect of this serum is mainly due to vitamin C (ascorbyl glucoside), but it also contains other antioxidants that are good for the skin such as Vit. E (tocopherol) and green tea. After a week of using this together with products from Dermalogica, I noticed an improvement on my skin condition. My skin looked brighter and softer. People at work started to notice and some even asked if I had something done while I was away on leave :). I have been  using this for almost six weeks now and my skin has never been better. My skin texture has certainly improved and this probably helped fade some of my hyperpigmentation. I know that the improved condition of my skin is not due to this product alone, but this is the first time that I'm using a serum and I'm happy with the results.  

Aside from Prep+Prime Brightening serum, I'm also currently using products from Dermalogica. As usual I will share my experience on these products in my future blog posts. For you gals in Asia where the MAC Lightful line is available, this serum is the same as the Lightful Charged Essence Serum. I compared their ingredients while I was at the MAC store and they are exactly the same.

I stayed away from serums before because they are expensive, now wish that I started using them earlier. Do you use serums? What serums do you like? Do you use different serums for day and night, please share your experience on the comments below, they are very much appreciated.

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for this lovely review. It was very helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, very informative and objective, just what I needed before making decision about which serum to buy :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, I'm glad you found the post helpful. Thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete
  3. If you use this during day, and use Estee Lauder at night, was there any adverse effect et all ? After reading this, i am also thinking of picking it up. And do you use the other dermalogica moisturiser after applying the serum ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No adverse effects at all on me, and yes, I did use the dermalogica moisturizer after the serum. I love this serum, I went to MAC last week to purchase a new one, and I was bummed because it was out of stock.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...