Saturday, December 17, 2011

Dermalogica Intensive Moisture Balance And Skincare Routine

dermalogica.com

I believe that regardless of your skin type, it is important to use moisturizer. Moisturizers keep the outer layer of the skin hydrated by attracting moisture and acting as a barrier against water loss. They also protect the skin from enviromental damage caused by harsh winds and sun exposure. On the aesthetic side, moisturizers help to keep the skin supple and smooth the appearance of fine lines. It is important to choose a moisturizer that addresses your skin's particular needs, the right moisturizer can do wonders, while choosing the wrong one can cause you to have breakouts and lead only to frustration. With so many products on the market, you should be able to find one that is suitable for you.


I was previously using Clinique's Dramatically Different Moisturizing Lotion (reviewed here), but since I'm in my 30's, I decided that it's high time to start using a moisturizer that contains some antioxidants and cell-communicating ingredients. Dermalogica's Intensive Moisture Balance seems to fit the bill by containing vitamins A,C and E as well as lecithin. It also promises to combat dry skin, which was an issue with me at that time.

Despite being intensely moisturizing, Intensive Moisture Balance is surprisingly light and easily absorbed in the skin. It does not have that thick, greasy texture that is common in moisturizers marketed for dry skin. I apply the product on my face and neck, twice a day after my serum, and it keeps my skin moisturized for the whole day or night. When I started using this moisturizer, I was suffering from severe dry skin. I had fine lines under my eyes (which I never had before), flaky patches on my face and neck, and sometimes my face felt like it was going to crack. After regular use of this moisturizer along with other dermalogica products, my skin condition improved. The fine lines under my eyes disappeared, so did the flaky skin (except for a stubborn small dry patch beside my left eye). I also find this moisturizer to be a good make up base, I have worn full makeup (the whole shebang - primer, foundation, powders) on top of of this moisturizer, and never had any problem.


Ingredients: Water/Aqua, Ethylhexyl Hydroxystearate, Cetearyl Ethylhexanoate, Butylene Glycol, PEG-8, Stearic Acid, Dimethicone, Glyceryl Stearate, PEG-100 Stearate, Lactamide MEA, Cetyl Dimethicone, Cetyl Alcohol, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Rosa Centifolia Flower Extract, Centella Asiatica Extract, Echinacea Purpurea Extract, Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Seed Extract, Camellia Oleifera Leaf Extract, Ginkgo Biloba Leaf Extract, Dioscorea Villosa (Wild Yam) Root Extract, Lecithin, Sodium Hyaluronate, Glycolipids, Retinyl Palmitate, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Phospholipids, Tocopheryl Acetate, Superoxide Dismutase, Sodium PCA, Ethylhexylglycerin, Phenoxyethanol, Carbomer, Potassium Cetyl Phosphate, Disodium EDTA, Aminomethyl Propanol, Citronellol, Geraniol, Linalool


Here is the list of products on my current skincare routine. I realize that I may have to tweak this routine every now and then to suit my skin's needs. But this is the routine that finally worked and helped improved my skin.

Morning: Cleanse with Bioderma Purifying Foaming Gel  for atleast 1 minute.
                 MAC Prep+Prime Skin Brightening Serum
                 L'Oreal White Perfect Eye Protector spf 15
                 Dermalogica Intensive Moisture Balance
                 MAC Prep+Prime Face Protect spf 50 primer

If I am spending a lot of time outdoors, I skip Intensive Moisture Balance and MAC Face Protect and use La Roche-Posey spf 50 Fluid Extreme instead. I also use other forms of sun protection like an umbrella. Since I am prone to hyperpigmentation, I avoid the sun as much as I can. Even though I live near the sea, you won't find me at the beach basking under the sun. Half of the reason I avoid prolonged sun exposure is vanity, but the other half  is for health reasons.

Nightime: MAC Cleanse Off Oil to remove makeup
                 Cleanse with Bioderma Purifying Foaming Gel for atleast 1 minute
                 MAC Prep+Prime Skin Brightening Serum
                 Clinique Repairwear Intensive Eye Cream
                 Dermalogica Intensive Moisture Balance

Twice or 3x a week, I exfoliate using Dermalogica Multivitamin Thermafoliant and use Multivitamin Power Recovery Masque once or twice a week after exfoliation.

Aside from the eye creams, I'm quite happy with this routine. Eventually, I want to add an AHA product, but in the meantime, I'm sticking with this one.

Do you have a skincare routine that you are happy with? What are your favorite products?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...