Thursday, August 11, 2011

Christian Dior 5 Color Eyeshadow Palette In Sunset Cafe


The Dior 5 Color Eyeshadow Palettes or 'Dior quints', as they are more popularly known, are one of those things that people either love or hate. They seem to work well on some people and just plain 'blah' on others. I cannot give my thoughts on all the quints but I'm going to review the two that I own, Sunset Cafe and Rosy Tan.

It took me awhile to pick up my first quint, I swatched a lot of displays on Dior counters and nothing impressed me. But since I collect eyeshadow palettes, I just had to have one. After doing some online research, I decided on Sunset Cafe. It was already discontinued but I was lucky enough to find one.

The compact reflects the light
 
Dior has the most elegant packaging. Their palettes come in elegant, glossy navy blue compact. Dior is engraved on top in silver and the initials CD shows through the mirrored surface. It has a mirror inside and two applicators which are pretty useful. Unfortunately, I see my fingersprints all over the compact everytime I touch it because of its glossy surface. The compact comes with a velvet pouch and a leaflet with instructions on how to use the product. 

Sunset Cafe has beautiful colors, a pink-peach, a very light pink, gold, a taupe-brown and a bronze. I would say that the palette has a pearly finish, even the light pink which is the flattest color has some level of shimmer in it. The pigments in the browns and the gold are really not bad, they are not super pigmented but I can work with them. I have to dig more the make the pink-peach work and I rarely use the light pink even as brow highlight, it does not show up on me. The shadows last on my lids between 8-10 hours under a primer. But, I'm usually in an air-conditioned building at those times. I have not tried these shadows while outdoors doing errands, where it maybe warm and humid. I usually notice fading and creasing  at the end of 10 hours. I also prefer to use the applicators with my dior palettes. I find that I can pack color better with the applicators and then blend with a brush.

Top left: Peach-pink, top right: light pink, bottom right: gold, bottom left: taupe-brown, middle: bronze

From L-R: Peach-pink, light pink, gold, taupe-brown, bronze

I find Sunset Cafe to be a beautiful palette but it's not a favorite. I really don't reach for it that often. but, I'm still happy to have it in my collection. 

all products and photos are from my own collection

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...